Making an exhibit of primitive Bow and Arrows for the Fairfield museum... 

  Primitive Archery by:  NORTH WOOD TRADITIONAL ARCHERY

www.northwoodtraditionalarchery.com 

northwoodbows@gmail.com

(475) 235-7421

A display of Native American Archery made for the museum exhibit showing primitive arrows and buckskin quiver



Mohegans are the tribe associated with my exact location in Oxford CT... Thanks to the art work by Steve Allely I was able to make a reproduction of one of their bows.  As a hunter, I can appreciate the very small size of this bow,  as the hills are very easy to hide in a crouching position from the ground, so long as the bow can be drawn while kneeling.

A display for the new museum exhibit on arrow making at the Fairfield Museum
The arrows were made with local materials to simulate what they may have looked like,  and the arrow heads are ancient quartz points supplied by the museum

This is a copy from a historical Indian bow,  Mohegan Tribe.
 Very often,  I feel the presence of ancient crafts people in my workshop.  Nothing that I can possibly do has not been done before by my predecessors.  It is both humbling and honoring to be a part of such an ancient lineage,  and to work in a real way to collaborate on these arrows with an ancient arrowhead maker.



The little stick was used to burn feathers to shape on the arrow



In the old ways,  the easiest way to shape the feathers on the arrows is by burning with the end of a stick. 


Showing the several components in hafting a stone point to an arrow shaft
In this museum display of Native American Archery,  I have staged a primitive arrow,  and as you can see,  there are some very complicated steps requiring a knowledge and skill with local resources such as animal tendon,  pine pitch epoxy made from heating pine pitch with fine charred dust (shiny black thing in the middle





I hope you enjoy this information and visit my website to see more of my custom wood bows and arrows

Subscribe to receive free email updates: