Why I hunt with Traditional Archery Equipment

    There are several reasons for why I hunt exclusively with traditional archery equipment, meaning recurves and longbows. I made the switch from compound when I was about 17 years old. I was influenced by my neighbor who was constantly shooting his longbow in his front yard. One day I asked him if I could try the longbow, from that day forward I was hooked on traditional archery.
    I ended up buying that longbow from my neighbor and since then I have owned around ten different traditional bows. Since using that first longbow to harvest a few whitetail deer I have pretty much switched to only recurves. I like the shootability of recurves a little better than longbows, and I now collect Bear recurves and own a black widow SAII recurve.
     I love the simplicity of shooting a traditional bow. There is very little you have to do with a traditoinal bow. By this I mean all you basically do is string the bow, nock your arrow, and shoot. This is the main reason I shoot traditional, the simplicity. I also love the beauty of traditonal bows. I hold nothing against someone who shoots a compound, heck even my dad hunts with compounds, but a compound with all the gadgets and gizmos is just downright ugly compared to a wooden recurve or longbow. Lastly I shoot traditonal because it is a much more natural form of archery to me. Drawing a smooth recurve or longbow is much more enjoyable then shooting a compound that breaks over and then having to line up the sights. If you ever decide to try a traditional bow I think you will understand what I mean. But whatever weapon you choose to hunt with remember to respect nature, and the wildlife we persue so that we can enjoy it for many generations!

Subscribe to receive free email updates: