Lenape Wooden Bow

Primitive Archery by:  NORTH WOOD TRADITIONAL ARCHERY

northwoodtraditionalarchery.com 

northwoodbows@gmail.com

(475) 235-7421




  Burned engravings adorn this majestic wooden bow design,  recreated.  It has the perfect combination of simplistic and personal.  This custom bow was made at 45 lbs at 28", which is a typical hunting weight in primitive self bows from historical examples. 


 Errett Callihan once told me to use 50 lbs and under if you want to play;  50 lbs and up if your serious.  I do have a friend who successfully hunts with only a 40 lb bow,  and he's way stronger than me.  I for some reason prefer my 55lb bow to all others. 


  But to be sure this is one design that I deeply appreciate.  Many people who order wood bows from me are very suprised when they first pick them up... like they didn't expect it to feel so solid and yet light in the hands...   

 To me, a wood selfbow is just what I'm used to.  It feels better to me than fiberglass,  and I love shooting every day.  Usually I'll plink tuna cans or rove around looking for stumps with my judo points. 



No two wood bows from a stave will ever be exactly the same as every tree and piece of wood have a unique grain.  It is takes a certain level of skill and a developed eye to make one,  and the available trees in my area are excellent quality hard woods.  I made this one out of hickory,  like the original.

 I make sure to spend a little time every day out in the woods... just wandering and plinking cans and stumps. 



It's a timeless and relaxing time,  with lots of adventure and quiet.  Traditional archery teaches focus,  practice, and instinct.  Making primitive bows teaches the same things.



















Subscribe to receive free email updates: